The American Association of State Troopers Scholarship Foundation was created to provide financial assistance to America’s state troopers and their children and dependents through a number of scholarships and opportunities.
The American Association of State Trooper Scholarship Foundation (AAST), which was established in 1990, is a charitable foundation that was created to raise funds for AAST trooper member dependents. Since it was established, the AAST has supported the educational endeavors of nearly 2,800 students through scholarships totaling more than $2 million.
AAST board members, at the most recent board meeting, decided to expand the program to include support of active trooper training and a number of other training and educational programs for state law enforcement.
How to Apply for an AAST Scholarship
Children of state troopers, regardless of whether they are natural birth children, legally adopted children, or stepchildren, are eligible to apply for AAST scholarships. To be eligible, the AAST member must have been a member for at least 2 years prior to the year the student is applying. Eligible students may apply every year for a total of three scholarships over a three-year period.
The deadline for applying for the AAST scholarship is July 31 of each year.
To be eligible to apply for the $500 scholarship, applicants must meet the following requirements:
- A minimum 3.0 GPA at an accredited school
- An official, original transcript showing all four years of high school
- A current official college transcript from the current year of college (if applicable)
- A 500-word essay entitled “How My Education Will Advance My Career Plans”
- A letter of acceptance from an accredited college or university for the current academic year
To be eligible to apply for the $1,000 scholarship, applicants must meet the following requirements:
- A minimum 3.5 GPA at an accredited school
To be eligible to apply for the second $1,000 scholarship, applicants must meet the following requirements:
- A minimum 3.8 GPA
To be eligible to apply for the $1,500 V.J. Johnson Memorial Scholarship, applicants must meet the following requirements:
- A minimum 3.8 GPA
- Open to Florida residents only
- Reserved for students intending to use their education for a career in law enforcement