The Fairbanks Police Department answered over 117,000 dispatch calls in 2008 and responded to over 25,000 calls for police service that year, all in an effort to serve and protect the citizens who live and work in Fairbanks.
If you’re interested in joining the ranks of this highly respected police department, follow this guide to learn how to become a cop in Fairbanks by meeting established requirements.
- Meet the Basic Qualifications
- Submit Your Application
- Submit Your Pre-Screening Requirements
- Physical Fitness Test
- Integrity and Written Examination
- Background Check
- Polygraph and Psychological Examinations
Step 1. Meet the Basic Qualifications for Fairbanks Police Officer Candidacy
There are certain requirements that you must meet to be considered for jobs as a police officer in Fairbanks:
- You must possess or be able to obtain a Basic APSC certificate within 18 months of being employed.
- You must be a U.S. citizen.
- You must not have a history of emotional or mental disorders.
- You must have normal color vision.
- Your vision must be correctable to at least 20/30 in each eye.
- You must have a valid Alaska driver’s license.
- You must have graduated from a high school that has been accredited or have a GED.
- You must not have had the following convictions:
- Any felony
- DWIs: 2 within the past 10 years
- Misdemeanor convictions for moral turpitude or dishonesty
- You must not have used drugs in the following manner:
- Marijuana: used within the previous year
- Controlled substances: illegally used, manufactured, sold, or transported within the previous 10 years
Step 2. Submit Your Application
To obtain a position as a police officer in Fairbanks, you must submit your application starting with the Human Resources employment page.
Step 3. Submit Your Pre-Screening Application
After you have submitted your application, you will be e-mailed a testing packet of requirements for the position. You will have to provide the following forms:
- Liability waiver
- Physician’s release
- Standards questionnaire for APSC/FPD
- Typing test copy
- You must be able to type 35 words per minute with 5 or fewer errors.
- You can take the 1 min test at typingtest.com.
Step 4. Physical Fitness Test
Once you have been approved as an applicant, you will take a three part physical fitness test. You will have to pass each section before you can proceed further with the testing. The test will involve:
- Doing 25 push-ups
- Running 300 meters in 71 sec
- Running 1.5 miles in 15:54
Step 5. Integrity and Written Examination
After you have passed each phase of the physical fitness test, you will be given a test to examine your level of integrity. Once you have passed your integrity test, you will be given a written test. The test is the National Criminal Justice Officer Inventory. You can obtain a practice test for this exam. You can save $5 on the cost of the exam with the code FAPD10.
Step 6. Interview
Once you have passed your written test, you will be notified within a few days of the time of your interview with an oral board. You can expect your interview to take about two hours.
Step 7. Background Check
After your interview has proceeded successfully, the department will examine your background to make sure that you are suitable as a candidate for a position as a police officer in Fairbanks.
Step 8. Polygraph and Psychological Examinations
Once your background has been found to be acceptable, you will be examined with a polygraph. You will also have to pass a psychological screening to become a police officer in Fairbanks.
After you have been hired, you will be on probation for a year. You will make $23.90 to $27.28 an hour during this time. Once your probation has ended, you will make from $32.23 to $36.53 an hour.